NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020
- The Florida Panthers announced that they have hired Bill Zito as their new General Manager.
- Zito spent the last seven years with Columbus where he served as assistant general manager, then promoted to Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations, Associate General Manager, and Alternate Governor in June of 2019 for the Blue Jackets.
- During his time with Columbus Zito also served as General Manager of the Cleveland Monsters (then the Lake Erie Monsters). Zito would lead the Monsters to one calder Cup Championship.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins announced that they have hired Todd Reirden and Mike Vellucci as assistant coaches.
- Reirden will be overseeing the Penguins Defense and Powerplay.
- Vellucci will be working on the Penguins Offense and Penalty Kill.
- The Montreal Canadiens and St. Louis Blues made a trade.
- The Canadiens acquired goaltender Jake Allen and the Blues 2022 7th Round Pick.
- The Blues acquired Washington’s 2020 3rd Round Pick and Chicago’s 7th Round Pick.
- Per Chris Johnston of SportsNet, the Canadiens are picking up Allen’s full salary.
- Allen has one year left on his deal worth $4.35mil.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET Start Time
- In the lone game of the day, the Stars look to once again try to close out their series with the Avalanche. In first period we wouldn’t get a goal until late in the period as Miro Heiskanen would score 17:35 into the period to give Dallas the 1-0 lead, but with 32 seconds left in the period Nikita Zadorov would score to tie the game at one. In the second period a little under eight minutes into the period Cale Makar would score to give the Avalanche the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Mikko Rantanen would score his seventh of the playoffs to grow the Avalanche’s lead to two, and Nathan MacKinnon would ice this one with ninth of the playoffs to give the Avalanche the 4-1 victory and force the decisive Game 7.
- Colorado v. Dallas Game 6 Recap – Avalanche Bury Stars to Force Game 7
- 7p ET – Philadelphia v. NY Islanders
- 945p ET – Vegas v. Vancouver