NHL News and Notes from Sunday, August 23rd, 2020
- The Washington Capitals have relieved head coach Todd Reirden of his duties.
- Boston Bruins v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 8p EST Start Time
- In Toronto the Bruins and Lightning kick start the Second Round for the Eastern Conference, and in the first period it would be a late tally by Charlie Coyle to give the Bruins the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period while on the powerplay David Pastrnak would strike to grow the Bruins lead to two. Early in the third period Brad Marchand would score to give Boston the 3-0 lead, but Victor Hedman would find the back of the net to end the shutout bid by Jaroslav Halak and cut the Bruins lead to two. Late in regulation with the goalie pulled, Hedman would net his second of the game, but the Bruins would hold onto defeat the Lightning 3-2 and take Game 1.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Bruins Hold Off Late Surge for Game 1 Win
- Vancouver Canucks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 1030p EST Start Time
- Out in Edmonton the Canucks and Golden Knights kick off their Second Round Series, and in the first period Jonathan Marchessault would score for the Knights to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period the Golden Knights would erupt for three goals as Reilly Smith would kick start the period with a powerplay goal. Then Mark Stone and Alex Tuch would both net goals to give Vegas the 4-0 lead. In the third period Max Pacioretty would seal it for the Knights as they would take Game 1 5-0 over the Canucks.
- Canucks v. Golden Knights Game 1 Recap – Knights Blow Out Canucks in Game 1
- 7p ET – NY Islanders v. Philadelphia
- 945p ET – Dallas v. Colorado – Preview