NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, August 11th, 2020
- The Hockey Hall of Fame has announced that the 2020 Induction Weekend/Celebration has been postponed.
- The Board of Directors will address rescheduling plans on October 29th, 2020.
You can read about the HHOF’s decision here.
- The Buffalo Sabres have unveiled their new jerseys for the 2020-21 season.
- The Sabres are returning to their Royal Blue uniforms that they wore from 1970-71, their inaugural season, to 1995-96 when they did a complete overhaul of their look.
- The Sabres did a brief return to the look during the 2006-07 season when their original look came back as an alternate jersey for the Royal Blue jersey.
- Then in 2008 for the inaugural Winter Classic, the Sabres re-introduced the white version of the jersey for the special event.
- In 2018 the Sabres also did another white version for the 2018 Winter Classic, and from 2010 to 2012 the Sabres did a Royal Blue alternate, but was altered to look differently with the crest.
For more on the Buffalo Sabres new uniforms, you can read about them here.
Columbus Blue Jackets v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 3p EST Start Time
To kick off the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Blue Jackets and Lightning would play a really tight game as they needed X overtime periods to decide the winner. In the first period both teams traded opportunities as Pierre-Luc Dubois would open the scoring while on the powerplay to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead, but minutes later Brayden Point would score to tie the game. Then late in the second period Oliver Bjorkstrand would strike for the Jackets to retake the lead, but 23 seconds into the third period Yanni Gourde would score for the Lightning to tie the game and send it to overtime. After four scoreless overtime periods, it would be Brayden Point scoring 10:27 into the fifth overtime to give the Lightning the 3-2 victory and the 1-0 series lead.
Columbus v. Tampa Bay Game 1 Recap – Lightning Outlast Blue Jackets in 5 OT Thriller
Calgary Flames v. Dallas Stars – 530p EST Start Time
To kick start the first round for the Western Conference Calgary and Dallas would play a tightly contested match up. In the first period Dillon Dube would net a pair of goals to give the Flames the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Denis Gurianov and Jamie Benn would both score for the stars to tie the game, but a late Rasmus Andersson goal would put the Flames back into the lead. The Stars would try to do a late push in the final minute of regulation with a powerplay and the goalie pulled, but the Flames would hold on and take the 3-2 victory and the 1-0 series lead.
Calgary v. Dallas Game 1 Recap – Flames Take Game 1 Over Stars
Carolina Hurricanes v. Boston Bruins – 8p EST Start Time
Postponed to Wednesday, August 12th at 11a ET.
Chicago Blackhawks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 1030p EST Start Time
In our final game of the day the Golden Knights would play “host” to the Blackhawks for Game 1 of their Western Conference First Round series. After a scoreless first period Vegas would get on the board first with goals from Shea Theodore and William Carrier, but David Kampf would score while shorthanded to get the Blackhawks on the board. Then in the third period Reilly Smith would net a pair of goals to give the golden Knights the 4-1 victory and the 1-0 series lead.
Dickson’s TXHT Recap – Smith’s 2 Goals Guide Vegas to Game 1 Victory
11a ET – Carolina v. Boston
3p ET – NY Islanders v. Washington
530p ET – Arizona v. Colorado
8p ET – Montreal v. Philadelphia
1030p ET – Vancouver v. St. Louis