NHL News and Notes from Friday, February 21st, 2020
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined defenseman Matt Niskanen of the Philadelphia Flyers $5000, the maximum allowed under the CBA, for slashing Columbus Blue Jackets forward Gustav Nyquist.
- The Department of Player Safety also fined forward Scott Sabourin of the Ottawa Senators $1881.72, the maximum allowed under the CBA, for unsportsmanlike conduct on Thursday night against the Winnipeg Jets.
- As we inch closer to Monday’s NHL Trade Deadline, Boston and Anaheim would make a trade involving forwards Ondrej Kase and David Backes.
- In NWHL news the Buffalo Beauts would sign Kristin Lewicki for the remainder of the 2019-20 season.
- Also the Metropolitan Riveters announced that they have signed goaltender Zoe Zisis for the remainder of the 2019-20 season.
New York Rangers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p EST Start Time
In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the New York Rangers, and in the first period Mika Zibanejad would open the scoring for the Rangers. Then in the final forty minutes the Rangers would outscore the Hurricanes 4 to 2 as they would get goals from Jesper Fast, Brady Skjei, Artemi Panarin, and Ryan Strome to secure the 5-2 victory. Brock McGinn and Sebastian Aho would both score for the Hurricanes.
Detroit Red Wings v. New York Islanders – 8p EST Start Time
On Long Island the New York Islanders would handidly defeat the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 as they would get a hat trick from Jordan Eberle, and a late goal from Leo Komarov to secure the victory. Anthony Mantha would score the lone goal for the Wings.
Nashville Predators v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p EST Start Time
In a tightly contested matchup in Chicago, the Blackhawks would squeak out the victory over the Nashville Predators as Alex DeBrincat would net both goals, including the winner in overtime, to give the Blackhawks the 2-1 victory. Mattias Ekholm would score the lone goal for the Predators.
St. Louis Blues v. Dallas Stars – 830p EST Start Time
In Dallas the St. Louis Blues would dominate teh Stars as they would get goals from Alexander Steen, David Perron, Jordan Kyrou, Jaden Schwartz, and Colton Parayko to take the 5-1 victory. Jamie Oleksiak would tally the lone goal for the Stars.
Boston Bruins v. Calgary Flames – 9p EST Start Time
In Calgary the Flames would host the Boston Bruins, and after a six goal first period that would see the game tied at three it would be Brad Marchand scoring the lone goal in the second period to give the Bruins the 4-3 victory. Patrice Bergeron would score a pair of goals along with a Charlie Coyle goal for the Bruins, and Mikael Backlund would net a pair of goals and Johnny Gaudreau would tally for the Flames in the loss.
Minnesota Wild v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p EST Start Time
In Edmonton the Minnesota Wild would come to town to faceoff with the Oilers. For the Oilers they would get a pair of goals from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and a tally from Leon Draisaitl, but a Jerd Spurgeon hat trick and goals from Carson Soucy and Kevin Fiala would give the Wild the 5-3 victory.
Colorado Avalanche v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p EST Start Time
In Anaheim the Colorado Avalanche would get a JT Compher second period tally to defeat the Ducks 1-0.