NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, January 15th, 2020
- The Vegas Golden Knights fired head coach Gerard Gallant and Assistant Coach Mike Kelly, and have named Peter DeBoer as the new Head Coach.
- The Philadelphia Flyers announced a couple roster moves.
- Carter Hart will miss 2-3 weeks due to an abdominal strain.
- Goaltender Alex Lyon has been recalled under emergency conditions.
- Forward Joel Farabee has been loaned to Lehigh Valley of the AHL.
- Forward Chris Stewart has been placed on waivers.
- Elliotte Friedman’s “31 Thoughts” has been released, and digs deep on the recent, and shocking, firings in New Jersey and Vegas.
Chicago Blackhawks v. Montreal Canadiens – 730p EST Start Time
In Montreal the Chicago Blackhawks would face the Canadiens in an Original Six matchup. In the first period Zack Smith would score a pair of goals to give Chicago the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Phillip Danault would score for the Canadiens, but an Alex DeBrincat powerplay goal would give the Blackhawks their two goal lead back. In the third period Drake Caggiula would score to secure the 4-1 victory for the Blackhawks.
Philadelphia Flyers v. St. Louis Blues – 8p EST Start Time
In St. Louis the Blues would host the Philadelphia Flyers. In the first period Justin Faulk would strike on the powerplay to take the 1-0 lead. Theni nt he second period Tyler Pitlick and Michael Raffl would score to give the Flyers the 2-1 lead. In the third period Travis Konecny would score on the powerplay to grow the Flyers lead to two, but goals from Ryan O’Reilly and Alexander Steen would tie the game at three and send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Jakub Voracek would score to end the Blues comeback bid and give the Flyers the 4-3 victory.