Welcome to the TXHT NWHL Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Saturday, December 28th and Sunday, December 29th, 2019, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Saturday, December 28th, 2019
Game #1 – Boston Pride v. Connecticut Whale
- In the first game of the day the Connecticut Whale would host the Boston Pride and come ever so close to their first win of the season. In the first period McKenna Brand would score for the Pride to take the 1-0 lead, but in the third period Hanna Beatie would net her first of the season to tie the game at one to send it to overtime. After the scoreless extra fram Tori Sullivan would strike in the shootout to give the Pride the 2-1 victory.
Metropolitan Riveters v. Buffalo Beauts
- In the first ever outdoor regular season NWHL game, the Buffalo Beauts would play host to the Metropolitan Riveters in the Buffalo Believes Classic. Entering the third period the Riveters would be up 3-0 thanks to goals from Rebecca Morse, Madison Packer (PPG), and Brooke Baker (PPG), but it would be Taylor Accusi netting all four goals for the Beauts as part of an eight goal period as the Riveters would survive and hold on to win 7-4 thanks to goals from Brooke Avery, Packer (second of the game), Tatiana Shatalova, and Cailey Hutchison.
Sunday, December 29th, 2019
Game #1 – Metropolitan Riveters v. Buffalo Beauts
- The Riveters would complete the weekend series against the Beauts with another victory giving the Riveters their first weekend sweep of the season. Madison Packer would remain hot for the Riveters as she factored on five of the six goals (2g, 3a) for the Riveters. Caily Hutchison, Nicole Arnold, Kendall Cornine, and Kate Leary would all score as well in the Riveters 6-3 victory. Brooke Stacey (2g) and Taylor Accursi would score for the Beauts.
Game #2 – Boston Pride v. Connecticut Whale
- The Boston Pride would be back to their high scoring ways as they would get goald from Lexie Laing (2g), Emily Fluke (2g), McKenna Brand, Jillian Dempsey, and Tori Sullivan to defeat the Connecticut Whale 7-2 to remain undefeated this season. Hanna Beattie and Sararh Schwenzfeier would score for the Whale.
News and Notes
- On Saturday the NWHL announced that defender Ashley Johnston would come out of retirement and sign a PTO to play for the Metropolitan Riveters in the Buffalo Believes Classic, and in Sunday’s matchup against the Beauts.
Player of the Week
- Forward Madison Packer of the Metropolitan Riveters has been named the VEDA Player of the Week after having an eight point weekend. On Saturday, Dec. 27th in the Buffalo Believes Classic, Packer would lead the Riveters with two goals and an assist for a 7-4 victory over the Buffalo Beauts. Then on Sunday Packer would have a five point (2g, 3a) game as the Riveters would complete their first weekend series sweep of the season with a 6-3 victory over the Beauts.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NWHL.
*Photo of Madison Packer by Kate Frese