Welcome to the TXHT NWHL Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Saturday, October 12th and Sunday, October 13th, 2019, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Saturday, October 12th, 2019
Game #1 – Metropolitan Riveters v. Minnesota Whitecaps
- In Minnesota for their Banner Raising Ceremony, the Whitecaps would light up the Metropolitan Riveters 9-2 after getting four point nights from Jonna Curtis (3g, 1a) and Nicole Schammel (2g, 2a), and a five assist game from Amanda Boulier.
Game #2 – Buffalo Beauts v. Boston Pride
- In a matchup that saw the Boston Pride dominate the Buffalo Beauts in the shot department, the Pride would double up the Beauts 4-2 in their Home Opener The trio of Carlee Toews (2g, 1a), Lexie Laing (1g, 2a), and Tori Sullivan (2a) would lead the way for the Pride as they took the home victory.
Sunday, October 13th, 2019
Game #1 – Buffalo Beauts v. Boston Pride
- In the second game of their weekend series the Boston Pride would light up the Buffalo Beauts for eight goals as they coast to an 8-1 victory Sunday afternoon. The Pride would get multi-point performances from McKenna Brand (3g), Emily Fluke (2g), and Alyssa Wohlfeiler (1g, 2a) to lead the way.
Game #2 – Metropolitan Riveters v. Minnesota Whitecaps
- In Minnesota the Metropolitan Riveters looked to avenge their 9-2 defeat to the Whitecaps, and that they would in a much more tightly contested contest that would feature the first overtime game of the 2019-20 NWHL season. Rebecca Morse (1g, 1a) would cap off her two point night with the game winning goal in overtime to give the Riveters the 4-3 victory.
News and Notes
- On Monday, October 14th the Buffalo Beauts announced that they have signed forward/defender Nikki Kirchberger for the 2019-20 season.
- Kirchberger, a Buffalo native, played for Buffalo State College that saw her be an ECAC West All-Star during her freshman season in 2012-13. In 103 career games for the Bengals, Kichberger would score 31 goals along with 31 assists.
- Buffalo Beuats announced on Tuesday, October 15th that they have signed Team Chinese Taipai goalie Tiffany Hsu for the 2019-20 season.
- Hsu, the 100th player to sign with the NWHL for the 2019-20 season, posted a .977 Save % during the 2019 IIHF Women’s World Championship in Division II Group B. Her performance secured the Chinese Taipei team their first ever gold medal, along with Best Goalkeeper and Most Valuable Player honors.
Player of the Week
- The NWHL has announced that Boston Pride rookie forward Lexie Laing has been named the VEDA Player of the Week.
- Laing would kick off a high scoring weekend for the Pride when she would score her career NWHL goal to give the Pride the 1-0 lead over the Buffalo Beauts on Saturday. Laing would follow up with a pair of assists as the Pride would win 4-2. Laing would also pick up an assist on Sunday in Boston’s 8-1 win over the Beauts.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NWHL.
*Photo of Lexie Laing by Michelle Jay