NHL News and Notes from Monday, October 7th, 2019
- In a late night trade the Detroit Red Wings acquired defenseman Alex Biega from the Vancouver Canucks for forward David Pope.
- Washington Capitals Forward Travis Boyd has cleared waivers and was loaned to Hershey of the AHL.
- Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan confirmed that both centers Nick Bjugstad and Evgeni Malkin are both going to be out with longer term lower body injuries. However, per Sullivan Malkin’s injury is not expected be a season ending injury. Kassie’s Report
- The NHL announced their Three Stars of the Week for the week of October 2nd through 6th with Mika Zibanejad of the New York Rangers taking First Star honors. TXHT’s Report
- Per Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is reporting that the Ottawa Senators have acquired Vladislav Namestnikov from the New York Rangers for a 2021 4th Round Pick and defender Nick Ebert. Garrioch is also reporting that the Rangers are retaining $750k of Namestnikov’s salary. TXHT’s Report
St. Louis Blues v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p EST Start Time
The Toronto Maple Leafs host the St. Louis Blues as they look for their third win of the season, and after a scoreless first period the goals would come. The Blues would take the 1-0 lead with an Oskar Sundqvist goal, but then the Leafs would respond with two of their own as they would get goals from Frederik Gauthier and William Nylander in a 24 second span to take a 2-1 lead. However, with less than a minute left in the second the Blues would tie it at two when Brayden Schenn would score his second of the season. Then in the third period it would be Blues captain Alex Pietrangelo scoring his second goal of the season to give the Blues the 3-2 victory over the Maple Leafs.
Buffalo Sabres v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p EST Start Time
Looking for their first win of the season, the Columbus Blue Jackets would get two late goals to end the first period as Oliver Bjorkstrand and Cam Atkinson would both score in the final two minutes to give them the 2-0 lead against the Buffalo Sabres. Going into the second period the Sabres would storm back and tie the game at two after getting an early goal from Marcus Johansson (1:38) then a little over ten minutes later Jeff Skinner would tie the game at two with his second of the season. Then in the third period both team would trade goals as Nick Foligno would score for the Blue Jackets, but late in the third while on the powerplay Victor Olofsson would score to tie and send the game into overtime. However, it would Alexandre Texier scoring his first of the season as the Blue Jackets claim their first victory of the 2019-20 with the 4-3 overtime win.