These are your News and Notes for Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018…
There were no preseason contests yesterday.
Today is the first day of the regular season in the NHL and there are four contests taking place.
- The Washington Capitals will raise their Stanley Cup Championship banner tonight in a pre-game ceremony when they take on the Boston Bruins at Capital One Arena. TXHT has the preview of the game here.
- The Montreal Canadiens take on the Toronto Maple Leafs, which will mark the official debut of John Tavares. Tavares joined the Maple Leafs as a free agent over the summer. For TXHT’s preview of this match-up, please check out Steve Gardiner’s game preview
- The Calgary Flames face off against the Vancouver Canucks. For the Canucks this marks the first season without Henrik and Daniel Sedin, who retired last season, since the 1999-2000 season.
- The Anaheim Ducks face off against the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center. For the Sharks this will mark the official debut of Erik Karlsson, who joined the team after a trade
NHL Morning Skate: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) October 3, 2018
In NHL news today:
- The Buffalo Sabres announced that Jack Eichel has been named team captain.
— Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) October 3, 2018
- The Washington Capitals announced that Jayson Megna has been placed on waivers.
ROSTER UPDATE: MEGNA has been placed on waivers. The Capitals do not expect to loan him to Hershey at this time.
— CapitalsPR (@CapitalsPR) October 3, 2018
- Montreal Canadiens head coach Claude Julian announced that Karl Alzner and Tomas Plekanec will be healthy scratches tonight. This will end Karl Alzner’s consecutive-games played streak at 622, which is the fourth longest activer streak in the NHL and the 12th longest in NHL history.
This will end Alzner’s consecutive games streak at 622, 4th longest active streak in the NHL, 12th longest all time. https://t.co/c0TlUThwRT
— Gord Miller (@GMillerTSN) October 3, 2018
- The NHL announced all 31 teams opening night 23-man rosters earlier today
- Former NWHL player and United States captain Meghan Duggan married three-time Canadian women’s gold medalist Gillian Apps two weeks ago. Duggan played for the Boston Pride and the Buffalo Beauts. Gillian Apps would play in the CWHL with the Brampton Thunder (now Markham Thunder).
- Washington Capitals RW Tom Wilson has been suspended 20 games for his hit on Oskar Sundqvist. For more coverage on the Tom Wilson suspension and the effects of the suspension, check out TXHT’s coverage here.You can watch TXHT Live every Wednesday at 8p EST on both Twitch and Facebook Live.