These are your news and notes covering the NHL for September 25th, 2018…
In preseason action last night…
- The New Jersey Devils were defeated by the New York Rangers in a 4-3 overtime loss at Madison Square Garden last night. The Devils top line of Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier, and Kyle Palmieri skated together for the first time this preseason. The trio combined for seven points (three goals and four assists).
- The Boston Bruins defeated the Philadelphia Flyers in a 4-3 victory at Wells Fargo Center. Forward Lee Stempniak recorded three points (one goal and two assists). Stempniak is under a professional tryout (PTO) with the Bruins. Stempniak has recorded 469 points in 909 games over his 13-year career. He was limited to only nine points last season with the Carolina Hurricanes due to a broken clavicle.
- Jamie Benn registered two goals, his first goals of the preseason, in a Dallas Stars 5-3 victory over the Minnesota Wild at American Airlines Center. Benn registered a team-high seven shots on goal in over 16 minutes of ice time. Benn played on a line with C Roope Hintz and Alexander Radulov.
- The Winnipeg Jets defeated the Calgary Flames 5-4 in overtime at Scotiabank Saddledome. Jets F Nikolaj Ehlers registered the game-winner just 31 seconds into the overtime period.
In other preseason action last night:
- New York Rangers 4, New Jersey 3 (OT)
- Boston 4, Philadelphia 3
- Montreal 5, Toronto 1
- Dallas 5, Minnesota 3
- Winnipeg 5, Calgary 4
- Los Angeles 4, Vancouver 1
- Anaheim 4, Arizona 2
- Colorado 5, Vegas 3
There are seven preseason games in action tonight:
- Columbus vs. Buffalo (at Clinton Arena, Clinton, New York)
- Florida at Tampa Bay
- Carolina at Nashville
- Washington at St. Louis
- Detroit at Chicago
- San Jose at Calgary
- Vancouver at Edmonton
In NHL News…
- Vegas Golden Knights Shea Theodore signed a seven-year contract with an AAV of $5.2 million.
SHEA IT AIN’T SO!
— Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights) September 25, 2018
- The New Jersey Devils signed D Jeremy Groleau to a three-year Entry Level Contract (ELC). Groleau spent the last three seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. In those three seasons, Groleau would play 164 games and register eight goals and 23 assists. He also added one goal and one assist in 29 career playoff games. Groleau was a participant, under a Amateur Tryout agreement, in the Devils Prospect Challenge over the summer in Buffalo, New York.
— Dan Rice (@DRdiabloTHW) September 25, 2018
- Hockey in Seattle may be one step closer to reality. The Seattle Key Council approved lease agreements which will allow a demolition of KeyArena in downtown Seattle. This demolition will make way for a new facility that could host a future NHL expansion franchise. If there is to be a new NHL franchise, the earliest that could come is December at the NHL Board of Governors meetings. If Seattle is granted an expansion franchise, the earliest that team would begin play is in the 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 campaign, with an expansion fee of $650 million. The Vegas Golden Knights expansion fee was set at $500 million.
A decade-long saga is nearing its end: KeyArena will undergo a $700 million renovation financed by OVG.
When it’s over, will an NHL team be playing there? https://t.co/Qwb2sWLoVX
— Seattle Times Sports (@SeaTimesSports) September 25, 2018
Elliotte Friedman of “Hockey Night in Canada” released his “31 Thoughts” article today. Check out his article here.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) September 25, 2018