Here are your news and notes covering the NHL for today.
In preseason action last night, three contests took place.
- Mark Scheifele and Skyler McKenzie each scored two goals for the Winnipeg Jets for a 5-3 victory over the Edmonton Oilers at Bell MTS Place. Scheifele gave the Jets a 1-0 after a power-play goal 3:45 in the first period. The Oilers, Kailer Yamamoto tied it at 1-1 at 7:33. The Oilers took a 2-1 lead after Ethan Bear scored with a power-play goal at 13:02.
- The Detroit Red Wings scored a 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins last night at PPG Paints Arena. Red Wings’ goalie, Harri Sateri, recorded 29 saves. Michael Rasmussen, the ninth draft pick by the Red Wings in the 2017 NHL Draft, scored at 4:07 of the second period to tie the game, 1-1. Penguins starting goalie, Casey DeSmith, allowed three goals on 13 shots in nearly 30 minutes of on-ice time. DeSmith was replaced by Tristan Jarry, who recorded 20 saves.
- The St. Louis Blues defeated the Columbus Blue Jackets 5-1 at Nationwide Arena. St. Louis’ Sammy Blais recorded two goals and Robert Thomas had three assists in this contest. Blais gave the Blues a 2-1 lead just 35 seconds into the second period and then made it 3-1 at 6:49 four his fourth goal of the preseason. Thomas recorded an assist on each of these goals. Blue Jackets goalie, Sergei Bobrovsky, made 22 saves. Blues goalie, Ville Husso, recorded 16 saves.
In preseason action tonight:
- New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers
- Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers
- Montreal Canadiens at Toronto Maple Leafs
- Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars
- Winnipeg Jets at Calgary Flames
- Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings (at Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Arizona Coyotes at Anaheim Ducks
- Colorado Avalanche at Vegas Golden Knights
In other NHL and NWHL news today…
The Washington Capitals re-introduced their classic red jerseys today. These will be the third jerseys worn this season for selected dates.
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) September 24, 2018
Can’t get enough. ❤️💙 pic.twitter.com/Lp0JiwQD4t
— NHL (@NHL) September 24, 2018
Connecticut Whale’s Sam Faber announced her retirement today.
Sam Faber announced her retirement from the NWHL today. “I will do my best to continue to help this game grow as much as possible because that’s what women in our sport deserve.” Thank you for three incredible seasons Sam, and for leading this team.
🔗: https://t.co/aJxXcrpkus pic.twitter.com/oNPQ1phQlh
— Connecticut Whale (@CTWhale_NWHL) September 24, 2018
All-Star. Leader. Inspiration.
The NWHL salutes the incredible career of Sam Faber.
“I truly can’t put into words how much the sport of hockey has given me and how thankful I am to everyone that has helped me throughout my career.” – @fabersam28
— NWHL (@NWHL) September 24, 2018
The Philadelphia Flyers announced their new mascot, Gritty.
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) September 24, 2018
You can also see TXHT’s reaction and breakdown of this mascot here
Former Montreal Canadiens and Buffalo Sabres captain, Brian Gionta, announced his retirement today. Gionta won a Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils in 2003.
Brian Gionta: “I’m announcing my retirement today. Looking forward to spending more time with my family and also playing a small part with the organization. Looking forward to that next step of my career.”
— Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) September 24, 2018