Here are your NHL news and notes for September 22nd, 2018…
- In NHL pre-season action, the Washington Capitals played against the Carolina Hurricanes in a 5-1 loss at PNC Arena. TXHT had in-game coverage and you can see the game recap and reactions here: Washington at Carolina (Pre-season)
- John Tavares scored two goals in a Toronto Maple Leafs 5-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres at Scotiabank Arena (formerly Air Canada Centre). Tavares started the game at center with Mitch Marner at right wing and Zach Hyman at left wing, but Hyman left the game in the second period with a hip pointer.
- The New York Islanders defeated the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 in overtime in a game contested at PPL Center in Allentown, PA. Ryan Pulock scored the game winner 60 seconds into the overtime frame.
- Blake Wheeler made his preseason debut for the Winnipeg Jets in a 4-3 win over the Calgary Flames at Bell MTS Place. Wheeler was one of 11 Jets players who made their debuts.
- Joe Thornton could make his preseason debut when the San Jose Sharks host the Vegas Golden Knights Saturday night. If Thornton plays, it will be his first one ice action since he tore knee ligaments on January 23rd.
In preseason action last night:
- Carolina 5, Washington 1
- Toronto 5, Buffalo 3
- New York Islanders 3, Philadelphia 2 (at Allentown, PA) (OT)
- Winnipeg 4, Calgary 3 (OT)
- Chicago 5, Ottawa 2
- Tampa Bay 5, Nashville 1
- St. Louis 3, Columbus 2
In Saturday’s pre-season action:
- Columbus at Pittsburgh
- Colorado at Minnesota
- Boston at Detroit
- Ottawa at Montreal
- Toronto at Buffalo
- New York Rangers vs. New York Islanders at Bridgeport, Conn.
- Nashville at Tampa Bay
- Dallas vs. Florida, at Tulsa, Okla
- Vancouver at Calgary
- Anaheim at Arizona
- Vegas at San Jose