These are your news and notes from the NHL for September 21st…
In pre-season action:
- Washington Capitals LW Alex Ovechkin looked to be in mid-season form in his preseason debut in the Capitals 5-2 loss against the Montreal Canadiens in a contest that took place at Videotron Centre in Quebec City, Quebec. Ovechkin scored a power play goal from the left face-off circle and on a one-timer from Christian Djoos at 5:17 of the second period. In addition to the Ovechkin debut, fellow linemates, Evgeny Kuznetsov and Tom Wilson, also made their pre-season debuts for the Capitals.
- Ilya Kovalchuk a goal in a 7-2 loss against the Vegas Golden Knights at Staples Center. This was Kovalchuk’s first goal in an NHL uniform since April 25, 2013, when Kovalchuk was a member of the New Jersey Devils.
- New York Islanders F Kieffer Bellows is showing that he is ready for the NHL. Bellows, the 19th pick of the 2016 NHL Draft, scored his second goal of the preseason in a 2-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils at Barclays Center. Bellows scored this goal on a power-play late in the first period.
- Edmonton Oilers Connor McDavid recorded four points, one goal and three assists, in a 7-3 victory over the Winnipeg Jets at Rogers Place. McDavid and his linemates, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Ty Rattie, combined to record five goals and 11 points. Rattie had two goals and three assists whereas Nugent-Hopkins scored two goals.
In other preseason action from yesterday:
- Montreal 5, Washington 2 (at Quebec City, Quebec)
- Vegas 7, Los Angeles (split-squad) 2
- New York Islanders 2, New Jersey 0
- Edmonton 7, Winnipeg 3
- Vancouver 4, Los Angeles 3 (split-squad) (SO)
- Detroit 4, Chicago 2
- Dallas 3, Minnesota 1
- San Jose 7, Anaheim 3
In pre-season action tonight:
- New York Islanders vs. Philadelphia at Allentown, Pa. (PPL Center)
- Carolina at Washington
- Chicago at Ottawa
- Buffalo at Toronto
- Tampa Bay at Nashville
- Columbus at St. Louis
- Calgary at Winnipeg
In NHL news, the evolution of the Stanley Cup continues. The top band will be removed and retired for display at the Hockey Hall of Fame. The top band features the champions from the 1953-54 to the 1964-65 seasons.
The ongoing evolution of the #StanleyCup will see the top band, featuring champions from 1953-54 to 1964-65, removed and retired on display in the vault at the @HockeyHallFame. https://t.co/ZNQd73aQAX
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) September 21, 2018
TXHT Montreal Canadiens contributor, Armand Klisivitch released this article for Last Word on Hockey:
The Montreal Canadiens have signed Joel Teasdale and Josh Brook to three-year Entry Level Contracts (ELC).
— LastWordOnSports Inc (@lastwordonsport) September 21, 2018
The Calgary Flames unveiled their third jerseys today. These third jerseys are a throwback to the 1989 Stanley Cup championship.
— Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) September 21, 2018
In NWHL news, the Buffalo Beauts will hold their Black vs. Blues scrimmage tomorrow at Harborcenter at 1 p.m.
Hockey is BACK in Buffalo!
— NWHL (@NWHL) September 21, 2018