NHL News and Notes from Sunday, January 1st, 2023
- The NHL announced Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Pytor Kochetkov as Rookie of the Month for December.
- NHL Rookie of the Month – Kochetkov Stonewalls His Way to Top Rookie
- The NHL announced Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin as First Star for the Month of December.
- Connor McDavid (EDM) and Tage Thompson (BUF) would round out the rest of the 3 Stars for the Month.
NHL 3 Stars of the Month – Ovechkin Earns Top Honor with Historic December
- The Dallas Stars announced that they have signed forward Joe Pavelski to a one year extension.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. New Jersey Devils – 3p ET
- In New Jersey, the Devils host the Hurricanes. After a scorless first period, Derek Stepan gives Carolina the 1-0 lead but then Jack Hughes responds to tie the game for New Jersey. Sebastian Aho’s shorthanded goal then gives the Canes the 2-1 lead. In the third, New Jersey ties it up again when Jesper Bratt scores his 13th of the year but then Derek Stepan’s second of the contest puts Carolina up by a goal once again. Nico Hischier scores to tie it up the the Devs once more and then New Jersey finally breaks through with the lead wehn Jesper Bratt scores his second of the afternoon. Then, Martin Necas power play goal ties it up for the Hurricanes 4-4. In the shootout, Andrei Svechnikov scores the lone goal as the Hurricanes get the 5-4 win over the Devils.
- New York Rangers v. Florida Panthers – 5p ET
- In South Florida, the Panthers host the Rangers. In the first, New York takes the 1-0 lead when Mika Zibanejad scores a power play goal. In the second the Blueshirts take the 2-0 lead when Zibanejad scores his second of the afternoon and then Florida gets ono the board when Nick Cousins scores. Chris Kreider then strikes with his 17th of the year to but New York up by two but then Sam Bennett’s power play goal brings the Panthers within a goal. In the third, Vincent Trocheck’s power play goal gives New York the two goal lead once more but then Eric Staal strikes to cut the New York lead to a goal once again. Artemi Panarin then closes the door on the contest with his 10th of the year as the Rangers down the Panthers 5-3.
- San Jose Sharks v. Chicago Blackhawks – 7p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blackhawks look to harpoon the Sharks. After a scoreless first, Chicago gets a pair of goals when Patrick Kane and Sam Lafferty each get on the scoresheet. Then, Jonah Gadjovivh, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, and Alexander Barbanov all score to give San Jose the 3-2 lead. In the third, Timo Meier scores as San Jose takes the two goal lead over Chicago and then Evgeny Svechnikov closes the door on the night when he scores his fourth of the year and gives the Sharks the 5-2 win over the Blackhawks.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa, the Senators host the Sabres. In the first, Tim Stützle scores just 47 seconds into the contest to give Ottawa the 1-0 lead. In the second, Buffalo’s Zemgus Girgensons scores his fourth of the year to get the Sabres on the board but then Jacobn Lucchini’s power play goal, his first NHL goal, puts the Sens up once more. In the third, Tim Stützle’s empty net goal, his second of the night, gives the Senators the 3-1 win over the Sabres.
- New York Islanders v. Seattle Kraken – 8p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken host the Islanders for the lone time on the season. In the first, Adam Larsson’s fourth of the year gives Seattle the 1-0 lead but then Mathew Barzal’s ninth ties it up for the Isles. In the second, Eeli Tolvanen’s power play goal gives the Kraken the 2-1 lead and then Oliver Bjorkstrand scores his fifth of the year to put Seattle up by two. In the third, Brandon Tanev scores his seventh of the year as the Kraken strike down the Islanders for the 4-1 win.
- PIT v. BOS – 2p ET
- 2023 NHL Winter Classic at Fenway Park
- VGK v. COL – 9p ET
- PHI v. ANA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- NHL thrived on, off ice in 2022 after persevering pandemic (NHL.com)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.