NHL News and Notes from Monday, August 24th, 2020
- EA Sports announced that Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals is the cover athlete for this year’s NHL 21.
- NHL 21 will be coming out on Oct. 16th for Palystation 4 and Xbox One.
- The National Hockey League announced their weekly COVID-19 update.
- Per the announcement, the NHL has administered 4,644 tests amongst the Club’s 52 member travelling parties, and has for the fourth consecutive week come back with zero positive test rests for COVID-19 during the week of Aug. 16th through 22nd.
- New York Islanders v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p EST Start Time
- Out in Toronto the second East series started as the Islanders and Flyers faced off in Game 1. In the first period the Islanders would strike first as Andy Greene would score his first of the postseason to give the Islanders the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period the Islanders would erupt for three goals as Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Anders Lee, and Devon Toews would all score to take the 4-0 victory, and the 1-0 series lead.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Isles Blank the Flyers to Take Game 1
- Dallas Stars v. Colorado Avalanche – 945p EST Start Time
- Going out west the Avalanche look to bounce back to tie the series at one against the Stars. In the first period Nathan MacKinnon would strike first to give the Avalanche the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period the chaos would ensue as Mikko Rantanen would strike on the powerplay for the 2-0 lead, but then Joe Pavelski and Radek Faksa would both score powerplay goals 43 seconds apart to tie the game at two. However, the Stars wouldn’t be done there as Alexander Radulov and Esa Lindell would both score to give Dallas the 4-2 lead. Then in the third period Jamie Oleksiak would net the empty netter to secure the 5-2 victory, and the 2-0 series lead for the Stars.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Stars Net 5 Straight to Down Avs
- 7p ET – Boston v. Tampa Bay
- 945p ET – Vancouver v. Vegas